Translate to multiple languages

Subscribe to my Email updates

https://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=helgeScherlundelearning
Enjoy what you've read, make sure you subscribe to my Email Updates

Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Professor Sugata Mitra on teaching spelling and grammar: Phones have made it unnecessary

Photo: Rebecca Klein
Rebecca Klein writes, "Well, this is an opinion you don’t often hear in the education world."  

Acclaimed professor and educational researcher Sugata Mitra suggested in an interview with British education magazine TES that he no longer thinks it's entirely necessary for kids to learn spelling and grammar
He credits the proliferation of new technologies, such as the "autocorrect" feature on mobile phones, for phasing out such curricula. 

Photo: TheHuffingtonPost.com

“Firstly, my phone corrects my spelling so I don’t really need to think about it and, secondly, because I often skip grammar and write in a cryptic way,” Mitra told the magazine last week.

He added, “My entire background tells me, ‘No, no, it is really bad what you are saying,' but I think there is a change and we have to learn to live with it."
Read more...

Source: Huffington Post