Translate to multiple languages

Subscribe to my Email updates

https://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=helgeScherlundelearning
Enjoy what you've read, make sure you subscribe to my Email Updates

Tuesday, September 04, 2018

Go ‘back to school’ without paying tuition | Personal Finance - Toronto Star

"I started taking continuing education French courses at the University of Toronto’s St. George campus two years ago" explains Lesley-Anne Scorgie, personal finance author and founder of MeVest.ca.

You can learn anything by taking advantage of mass open online courses (MOOCs) and learning apps, Lesley-Anne Scorgie writes. 
Photo: iStock

My goal was, and still is, to be able to conduct basic business transactions and hold a reasonably intelligent conversation in French within five years. And, because my partner is half French, it’s an effort to get closer to his family, too.

Each course costs about $500 per semester, and I keep my receipts for tax time so that I receive the super valuable Canadian education credit on my tax return...

So much to learn on low to no budget
Education doesn’t need to be 100 per cent formal with your bum in a seat in a classroom, nor does it need to be expensive. You can learn anything by taking advantage of mass open online courses (MOOCs) and learning apps.

The Khan Academy and Udemy are two of my favourite learning platforms where I can type in keywords of whatever I want to learn about and it renders a list of appropriate courses to meet my needs. Some of the most popular back-to-school courses for under $11 that Udemy offers are for learning to code and understanding cryptocurrency. There’s nothing to be afraid of when it comes to quality control. Khan Academy lists their content experts, who happen to be seasoned educators and industry experts, while Udemy has a star rating system.

Even formal post-secondary institutions like the University of British Columbia offer undergraduate MOOCs for free in psychology, philosophy, climate change, statistics and more. 
Read more...

Source: Toronto Star