Translate to multiple languages

Subscribe to my Email updates

https://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=helgeScherlundelearning
Enjoy what you've read, make sure you subscribe to my Email Updates

Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Can Philosophy Make You Happy? | Cross-Check - Scientific American

John Horgan, directs the Center for Science Writings at the Stevens Institute of Technology says, Philosopher Catherine Wilson thinks the ancient sage Epicurus can provide guidance for our modern scientific age

Bust sculpture of Epicurus
Photo: Getty Images

As I’ve mentioned before, I belong to a philosophy salon, in which a bunch of philosophers and hangers-on (like me) bicker about pre-selected papers (most recently “So It Goes” by J. David Velleman.) One honest-to-God philosopher is Catherine Wilson, who has a knack for calmly cutting through the bloviation. Wilson and I share an interest in war and altered states, among other topics. Her new book, How to Be an Epicurean: The Ancient Art of Living Well, is unusually clear-eyed for a work of philosophy (see this review in The Economist). I didn’t know much about Epicurus or his philosophy before reading the book. But Wilson has convinced me that Epicureanism, more than stoicism or Buddhism, is a philosophy for our scientific age. In fact, I think I may be an Epicurean. Below Wilson answers a few questions. –John Horgan

Recommended Reading

How to Be an Epicurean:
The Ancient Art of Living Well