Translate to multiple languages

Subscribe to my Email updates

https://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=helgeScherlundelearning
Enjoy what you've read, make sure you subscribe to my Email Updates

Monday, December 16, 2019

The Bayes Appreciation Society | Roots of Unity - Scientific American

Photo: Sophie Carr
Dr Sophie Carr, Managing Director / Principal Analyst, shares her love for a fundamental theorem about probability.

Bayes' theorem in neon lights at the office of a software company in Cambridge, England. The theorem describes the relationship between the probability of event A given that event B occurred (the left side of the equation above), the probability of event B given event A, and the probabilities of events A and B themselves.
Photo: Matt Buck Flickr (CC BY-SA 2.0)
On our most recent episode of our podcast My Favorite Theorem, my cohost Kevin Knudson and I talked with Sophie Carr, who works as a consultant “finding patterns in numbers,” as she describes it. She is also the World’s Most Interesting Mathematician, according to the Big Internet Math-Off, a fun competition hosted by the Aperiodical this past summer. (In January, we had Nira Chamberlain, 2018’s World’s Most Interesting Mathematician, as a guest on the show.)

You can listen at kpknudson.com, where there is also a transcript...

After talking with Carr about Bayes’ theorem, I am still a tepid appreciator of Bayes’ theorem, but this episode did help me update my priors. A few more positive experiences and I too may become a Bayes enthusiast.
Read more... 

Source: Scientific American