Translate to multiple languages

Subscribe to my Email updates

https://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=helgeScherlundelearning
Enjoy what you've read, make sure you subscribe to my Email Updates

Monday, November 02, 2020

How to Love Mathematics | Mathematics - Medium

In September 2013, the New York Times had a wonderful op-ed piece entitled “How I Fell in Love With Math.”, by Hazel Clementine, published in However Mathematics…

Love of Mathematics?
Photo: MilagrosR27 via Flickr

Unfortunately, I saw it today, and I got goosebumps because I have always loved math.

Every person is a product of his or her childhood experiences. I remember sitting in the back of a church when I was 12. I didn’t want to be there in the middle of the week. My parents allowed me to have my math book. If I could do the math, I would be happy. I had M&Ms in one hand and math in the other.

When I was young, I wanted to have a good education. I wouldn’t say I liked the fact that we knew we were in schools that were not as good that did not have the resources. I hated the idea of having to use tedious textbooks and long lectures. I always wondered why the school was like that.

I was determined to major in mathematics in college. I did. I went through school, always loving math. But I always noticed that most kids did not like math. Today, I am still trying to figure out what we could do to help more children like math.

How many of you love mathematics?...

We should tell our students, “You can be excellent in math, or you can be excellent in literature, but you can be the best that there is.”

What we need in education, what we need in STEM is the belief in self. It’s in the empowering of our children.

Read more... 

Recommended Reading

The Math Gene:
How Mathematical Thinking
Evolved And Why Numbers Are Like Gossip

Source: Medium