Translate to multiple languages

Subscribe to my Email updates

https://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=helgeScherlundelearning
Enjoy what you've read, make sure you subscribe to my Email Updates

Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Composing with geometry: This Venezuelan guitarist makes music using a compass and a ruler | Music & Nightlife - Miami Herald

Lorena Cespedes, Colombian student at Florida International University majoring in journalism says,Aureo Puerta Carreño makes geometry his muse. The Venezuelan guitarist, 28, created a method to compose music, using geometric patterns. 

Venezuelan guitarist Aureo Puerta Carreño uses geometry to compose music.
Photo: Handout

Musicians and mathematicians have applauded his work. His compositions have been played at guitar festivals in the United States, and in 2020 he was named composer-in- residence by the Miami Symphony Orchestra.

“I compose my music through geometry, and for this, I only use a compass and a ruler,” he said. “It is a system that I invented six years ago, by which a matrix of hexagons becomes my canvas, where I am going to write the notes. In short, I can put music to any object I want.”...

“But the squares on the paper did not help me to place the 12 notes of our musical tonal system, since a square only has four sides,” he said. “One day watching a program about the importance of bees, the hexagon came to mind, and that was the thing that led to the discovery of the geometric pattern on which music is based.”...

“In the academy, we learn with the traditional method,” said Vicky Beltran, a student. “Professor Puerta has taught us with his method a few times, and it has been fun. If he writes all the notes on the hexagon’s left side, we know that we are playing a happy song, and if it is on the right side, we are playing a sad song.” 

Read more... 

Source: Miami Herald