Translate to multiple languages

Subscribe to my Email updates

https://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=helgeScherlundelearning
Enjoy what you've read, make sure you subscribe to my Email Updates

Friday, June 11, 2021

Through the Students’ Eyes: Insights into What’s Most Important | Teaching and Learning - Faculty Focus

Lauren Bosworth McFadden, EdD, associate professor in the College of Education at Seton Hall University comments, Each semester, I receive student evaluations from the courses I have taught the previous semester. 

Photo: Faculty Focus
Similar to most professors, I’m sure, I open the document with excitement and a bit of nervousness. I want to see what resonated and what I need to improve upon for the semester. This year, instead of teaching in-person, I taught all of my courses from home. Now don’t get me wrong, I love technology and teaching from home had some benefits, mainly avoiding an hour commute each way to school; however, it was also a disorienting experience. I had to reimagine all of my lessons for the online environment and find a way to engage students in the content for 2.5 hours. As I waited for my evaluations to load, I wondered if I had done enough to forge connections with and among my students. The depth of those connections through the organic, in-person experience, along with informal meetings around campus, seemed difficult to imagine in this screen-to-screen world. 

Reading through my most recent course evaluations, students zeroed in on what was most important to them, beyond the content of the course itself. Five themes emerged as I read the qualitative comments. 

Read more...

Source: Faculty Focus