Translate to multiple languages

Subscribe to my Email updates

https://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=helgeScherlundelearning
Enjoy what you've read, make sure you subscribe to my Email Updates

Tuesday, October 30, 2018

4 Reasons to Read 'Capitalism in America’ | Technology and Learning - Inside Higher Ed

Technology and Learning
Dr. Joshua Kim, Director of Digital Learning Initiatives at the Dartmouth Center for the Advancement of Learning (DCAL). insist, Why academics seem to be skeptical of an economic history co-authored by Alan Greenspan.

Capitalism in America:
A History by Alan Greenspan
and Adrian Wooldridge

People on campus are always asking me what I’m reading.

Last week, my answer to the reading query had been to say that I’m reading a book co-authored by Alan Greenspan about the history of American capitalism.

Typically, colleagues are polite about my book choices. They express interest. They mention similar books.

In the case of Capitalism in America, the local campus response has been less positive. The sticking point does not seem to be the subject. Everyone I know loves a good economic history.

Rather, the problem lies with the co-author. Why they wonder, would I want to read a book by Alan Greenspan?

The general campus consensus in my completely unscientific and non-representative sampling is that academics think that any book on economics by the former Chair of the Federal Reserve (1987-2006) is bound to be self-serving and ideological.  When I inform my campus colleagues that the book is neither, they don’t believe me...

Capitalism in America would make a fine book for today’s college students to read. They should know how far we have come. They should be exposed to ideas about the proper role of the market and of government, even if those ideas need to be thoroughly debated.

If this book is assigned, however, an effort needs to be made to convince our students that the future is exciting and scary and unknowable - but likely better than the past or the present.
Read more... 

Source: Inside Higher Ed