Translate to multiple languages

Subscribe to my Email updates

https://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=helgeScherlundelearning
Enjoy what you've read, make sure you subscribe to my Email Updates

Sunday, October 07, 2018

Books for Left-Brained Readers | Books - New York Times

Match Book

Follow on Twitter as @NicoleALamy
In Match Book, Nicole Lamy connects readers with book suggestions based on their questions, their tastes, their literary needs and desires.
 
Photo: Joon Mo Kang

Dear Match Book,
I’m wondering if you can help me discover books for my husband, who is not a big reader. I am, however, and since I’ve become his personal librarian over the years, he reads more than he might otherwise.

He is a scientist by training, an entrepreneur by vocation and an avid gardener and naturalist. He prefers realistic books with a strong sense of place or landscape, and mainly, but not exclusively, novels.

One book that both of us love and reread regularly is “Little, Big,” by John Crowley. Another favorite is “Gilead,” by Marilynne Robinson. He loved “The Shipping News,” by Annie Proulx, and “The Greenlanders,” by Jane Smiley. He was bemused by Halldor Laxness’s 
“Independent People.” He likes “Pale Fire,” by Vladimir Nabokov, in part because it is set where we live, but he is not otherwise interested in literary games or a distinctive style. He likes John McPhee, but that’s about as far into nonfiction as he’ll venture. Can you make me look good by recommending books I can give him?