Translate to multiple languages

Subscribe to my Email updates

https://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=helgeScherlundelearning
Enjoy what you've read, make sure you subscribe to my Email Updates

Saturday, April 13, 2019

"Exploring the Colors" of Jacob Landau at Monmouth University Center for the Arts | Art - New Jersey Stage

Content provided by Shen Shellenberger, loves the arts in all of its various forms and JerseyArts.com, a project of the ArtPride New Jersey Foundation and New Jersey State Council on the Arts.

I have been covering the arts in New Jersey for a long time, and yet I continue to be surprised and delighted by the number of new things I learn about our small but mighty state’s abundance of art-related offerings.


My new favorite discovery is the artist Jacob Landau and the exhibition “Jacob Landau: Exploring the Colors,” presented by the Monmouth University Center for the Arts and on view at the Guggenheim Memorial Library in Long Branch through April 18.

Jacob Landau? Maybe you’re searching your mind for a spark of recognition right now. “Should I know that name?” you may ask. And, although I was not familiar with Landau or his work before I began research for this feature, my answer now is an emphatic “Yes!”

A printmaker, painter, teacher and humanist, Landau was born in Philadelphia in 1917 and launched his career as an illustrator. He won national prizes by the age of 16 and received a scholarship to the Philadelphia College of Art (now University of the Arts)...

“The university has a long-standing relationship with Landau,” Knauer said. In 1996, Monmouth awarded Landau an honorary Doctor of Fine Arts degree. Then, in 2008, the university was gifted more than 300 prints, drawings and paintings from the Jacob Landau Institute, which was created after the artist’s death in 2001.

The Landau exhibition is an annual affair, Knauer told me, with an exhibition each April that celebrates a different aspect of the artist’s work. This year’s theme is “Exploring the Colors” and focuses on … Landau’s use of color.
Read more...

Source: New Jersey Stage