Translate to multiple languages

Subscribe to my Email updates

https://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=helgeScherlundelearning
Enjoy what you've read, make sure you subscribe to my Email Updates

Saturday, August 08, 2020

A Four-Step Plan: The First Day of Class on Zoom | Online Education - Faculty Focus

Crystal Wong, Professor in the English department at San Francisco State University observes, Creating a vibrant community is always on my mind, so the very first thing I do on the first day of class is pass around a tray of cookies and ask students to talk about their favorite type of cookie. 

A Four-Step Plan: The First Day of Class on Zoom
Immediately, the room is filled with surprise, smiles, and chatter. That is why I was stumped when a colleague asked, “What do we do on the first day of class on Zoom?” My impulse was to think about replicating those successful first-day activities, but what works face-to-face doesn’t necessarily translate well online. So, what should we do? To answer my colleague’s question, I write this article.

Before I share my four-step plan, each with a guiding principle followed by suggestions, I should note that I teach undergraduate writing classes at a four-year university, with a class size of 20-25 that meets biweekly for 75 minutes. While there’s no one right way to start the first day of class on Zoom, as this depends on the course level, size, and discipline, I believe the overall purpose of the first day is to establish a positive connection.
Read more...

Source: Faculty Focus