Translate to multiple languages

Subscribe to my Email updates

https://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=helgeScherlundelearning
Enjoy what you've read, make sure you subscribe to my Email Updates

Sunday, July 26, 2020

Reading Is Fundamental and So Are the World's Best Bookstores | Books - TownandCountrymag.com

Alexis Coe, historian summarizes, On lockdown, I learned that book browsing is an essential indulgence.

The World's Best Bookstores - Independent Bookshops
 Photo: Marc PiaseckiGetty Images
 There’s a bookstore in Brooklyn called Books Are Magic, and I’ve always thought the owners, Emma Straub and Michael Fusco-Straub, couldn’t have picked a better name. Books are magic. They can take you anywhere with anyone at any time, and the shops that sell them embody an equally enchanting range of escapes and adventures. I was charmed before I even entered Atlantis, a bookstore perched above the Aegean Sea in Santorini, and I was ready to move in when I realized there were loft beds hidden behind the bookshelves.

Not all bookstores are that dramatic, but some are pretty iconic, so much so that everyone will ask you if you visited Shakespeare and Co. when you were in Paris, or Livraria Lello in Porto, or El ­Ateneo Grand Splendid in Buenos Aires. 

Truth be told, I don’t need much advance planning when it comes to bookstores; I just need to spot one nearby. There’s no better place to waste time or make an impulse buy, though my favorite visits are definitely planned.

I love to call ahead and put a hold on a forthcoming title at my local shop, Community Bookstore, and then walk the two blocks when they call to say it has arrived—which is often before the official release date...

Until I can do that again I’ll keep ­buying from independent bookstores, whether they’re two blocks away or hundreds of miles, like Old Town Books in Alexandria, Virginia, whose owner, Ally Kirkpatrick, isn’t sure her business will survive.
Read more...

Source: TownandCountrymag.com