Translate to multiple languages

Subscribe to my Email updates

https://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=helgeScherlundelearning
Enjoy what you've read, make sure you subscribe to my Email Updates

Thursday, July 23, 2020

The Unessay Experiment: Moving Beyond the Traditional Paper | Course Design - Faculty Focus

I said to myself in spring of 2019, after reading through the final papers for a class, “I cannot read another history research paper.” I was done, argues Jodie N. Mader, PhD, professor and chair of the history department at Thomas More University in Kentucky 
 
The Unessay Experiment: Moving Beyond the Traditional Paper
Photo: Faculty Focus

While some papers rehashed my lectures, others read as if they were amended from a Wikipedia site.Overall, I was frustrated by the (lack of) effort and the redundancy. And, I wasn’t necessarily inspired to grade them either, as I felt the research paper was becoming a rather stale component of final history class examinations.  

That summer, I attended a conference on becoming a chair in a history department. I was surrounded by like-minded historians discussing academic leadership. However, in casual conversation, I heard of an evaluative measure called The Unessay.  The word unessay immediately caught my attention, as I was desperately thinking of new ways to evaluate beyond the writing scope. 

Upon some research, I found that the unessay moved beyond traditional papers. It was a form of self-expression and a way to demonstrate learning in a hands-on and visual way. It catered to students of different learning styles and expressions...

The final Unessay projects were amazing. One student, who had a large collection of dolls, created ‘Roman costumes’ to demonstrate the various classes of women. Another student, who was interested in the Punic Wars, created a monopoly game based on the event. Another student created a game of ancient empires, based on the game Risk. Several other students, who had a background in online gaming, recreated battle scenes, such as the Battle of Teutoburg Forest, and showed their craft to other students. Other variations included an Egyptian burial complete with a mummy and canopic jars, a booklet of Greek architecture, a children’s book of the Roman Emperor Nero, and a Sim’s online game that resembled a home for the Greek Gods.  
Read more...

Source: Faculty Focus