Translate to multiple languages

Subscribe to my Email updates

https://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=helgeScherlundelearning
Enjoy what you've read, make sure you subscribe to my Email Updates

Friday, March 19, 2021

A message from the end of a PhD | Research - EuroScientist

Gabriel Matos RodriguesPhD student in Bernard S. Lopez's lab at Université de Paris narrates his experience to move from a PhD to the research world, highlighting values such as empathy and kindness.

Photo: bruno-abatti-mEfIhOTH27w-unsplash

Pursuing a scientific career almost inevitably means moving and leaving the ones you love for at least a certain amount of time. In my case, this decision started during college when I moved from my hometown near São Paulo to Rio de Janeiro. Since I made this decision 10 years ago, staying far from my loved ones has become part of a life style. For a student from a simple upbringing in Brazil, like myself, having the opportunity of studying abroad is the utmost privilege. I have been given the chance to perform a good part of my academic formation in prestigious research institutes in Europe under the supervision of brilliant advisors. This trajectory has come with many challenges and, nowadays, as I look back in time, I realize how empathy and kindness have been essential during this process.

I wrote a first draft for a PhD scholarship project one week after my mother passed away. By the time, working on this application was a way to cope with the mourning process and to know that life would move forward. However, I was stressed about it as I wanted to send a good project to my future advisor. Although the application was submitted in time, the project was not accepted, and I pursued my PhD under the supervision of another advisor. Less than a year later, I moved to France to start my PhD...

... I hope that I can help create a new culture in which kindness and empathy are the building blocks of the resilience we need to endure the always existing challenges of the academic career.

Read more...

Source: EuroScientist