Translate to multiple languages

Subscribe to my Email updates

https://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=helgeScherlundelearning
Enjoy what you've read, make sure you subscribe to my Email Updates

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Teaching with Twitter: how the social network can contribute to learning

Photo:Rosie Miles
Twitter wasn't designed with teaching in mind but Rosie Miles finds it an ideal way to encourage students to get under the skin of academic texts.
Here she explains how.

Photo: The Guardian

I am senior lecturer in English at the University of Wolverhampton and have been an advocate for the past few years of teaching using blended learning - integrating online learning activities alongside face-to-face teaching.

Two of my courses on Victorian literature feature a number of assessed online discussion forum activities. They get 100% participation - much of it enthusiastic.

Online learning spaces are neutral - just like a 'real' classroom is. It's what you do in them that matters. I use face-to-face classes as a spur to take our study of any given topic further online, thus extending it into areas of reflection and research not possible within the constraints of a seminar discussion.

I've only recently joined Twitter, but before I had a Twitter account I tried teaching with the spirit of Twitter. Students on my Fin de Siècle (late nineteenth century) course all had to choose a Twitter name for one of the characters in the texts we'd studied thus far and then 'tweet' in character. So Dr Jekyll (@Doubleface), Dracula (@likeabatoutofhell), Dorian Gray (@PrettyBoy), Basil Hallward (@ClosetCase), Mina Harker (@SecretarialVamp), numerous liberated New Women (@MsDisillusion @RichBitch @ModernMuse or @TravellingTotty) and, my particular favourite, Lady Narborough (@PartyStarter) all logged on to my Fin de Siècle Twitter session. I should emphasise that we did this within a Virtual Leaning Environment (VLE) discussion forum and not on Twitter, but just like on Twitter they could only 'tweet' up to 140 characters in any message.
Read more...

About Rosie Miles
Rosie Miles is a senior lecturer in English at the University of Wolverhampton and was awarded a National Teaching Fellowship in 2011. She blogs at www.msementor.co.uk and tweets as @MsEmentor

Source: The Guardian (blog)