Translate to multiple languages

Subscribe to my Email updates

https://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=helgeScherlundelearning
Enjoy what you've read, make sure you subscribe to my Email Updates

Thursday, November 02, 2017

Music-ed program makes sure students are hitting the right notes | The Setonian - Campus Life

"Seton Hall’s music education program is small, allowing for a lot of individual attention for students striving to combine their devotion to music and teaching, while joining orchestrations and preparing for concerts such as the “Prayer for Peace” on Oct. 27." reports Christina McDonald-Vitale.

The recent Prayer for Peace concert allowed Jordan Green, a music education major, to perform at NJPAC and hone the skills he’s learned in the classroom.
Photo: courtesy of Jordan Green

“I’ve always wanted to be a teacher since I was a little kid,” said Jordan Green, a sophomore music education major. “I’ve also been doing music my whole life and I play many instruments. I decided to combine my two passions together after hearing advice from my choir teacher, Mr. John Hellyer, who told me I’d make a great music teacher.”

Green takes many private lessons, ranging from voice to instruments, including strings, woodwinds, brass and percussion.

“In addition I have many teacher preparation classes as well as theatre classes because I’m a double major,” he said.

There are also a number of ensembles such as choir, orchestra and jazz bands available for students to join to pursue their passion of performing.

Green plays second violin and is orchestra manager for the University Orchestra. He is also involved with many of the student run musical organizations on campus such as Gentlemen of the Hall, the Seton Strings and the musicals.

Steve Smith, a senior music education major studying jazz guitar, takes similar classes to Green including education courses and focusing on the different instrument families.

“In the future I will always be playing and performing music, and I hope to be teaching in a school,” Smith said.

Smith thrives off the personalized attention he gets because of the small program.  “Studying personally with Dr. Christiansen really changed a lot for me and he taught me a lot about being a fine musician,” he said. “Dr. Tramm’s conducting class was a huge eye opener for me and taught me quite a bit about conducting that has proven to be necessary in my placement.”

Green, who is tenor section leader of the university chorus and chamber choir, explained the hard work put into preparing for the “Prayer for Peace” concert, which celebrated classical music and composers dedicated to the message of peace.
Read more...

Source: The Setonian