Translate to multiple languages

Subscribe to my Email updates

https://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=helgeScherlundelearning
Enjoy what you've read, make sure you subscribe to my Email Updates

Sunday, August 16, 2020

8 Science Fiction Books That Get Programming Right | Science Fiction - tor.com

Have a read at this Science Fiction Books by Ferrett Steinmetz, Tor.com

Photo: Florian Olivo via Unsplash
I was sitting down with a couple of my fellow programmers after a long day of testing our new online shopping cart, and we asked ourselves a very important question:

Why don’t most science fiction books get the feel of programming right?

If you’re not a programmer, you’ll doubtlessly protest: “There’s a lot of programming in speculative fiction!” But there isn’t, actually. What there is is a lot of is hacking, which is to say breaking into established systems, usually with a lot of muttered techno mumbo-jumbo like “I’m in the mainframe!” while hopelessly-inept thugs spray the area with bullets...

So I asked: What are the core activities of programming, and which stories come closest to getting it right?
Read more...

Source: tor.com