The emergence of massive open online courses or MOOCs with tens, or even
hundreds, of thousands of learners in a single course has made the
present situation even more prominent and precarious.
We propose the TEC-VARIETY framework as a solution to the lack of meaningful engagement. It can shift learners from highly comatose states to extremely engaged ones.
Adding some TEC-VARIETY helps instructors to focus on how to motivate online learners and increase learner retention
The TEC-VARIETY framework purposely takes into account current technology trends and attempts to stimulate their use in pedagogically effective ways. As such, it rests at the intersection of such exciting educational affordances brought about by emerging learning technologies, intrinsic as well as extrinsic motivation-related theories, and the rapidly shifting perspectives on teaching and learning philosophies and approaches.
As part of that hope, such educators might find activities and strategies that they can make use of to nurture engagement and success online. These strategies can breathe life into current classes and programs that are failing to engage their learners. They tap into learners’ inner resources and desires to learn and grow toward a better future. At the same time, they can invite the global sharing of ideas and knowledge as part of a worldwide community or family of learners.
In this book, you will discover:
- A wellspring of Web resources;
- 10 fully documented successful motivational principles;
- Hundreds of activities to motivate and engage online learners;
- Proven ideas on how to design interactive and collaborative courses;
- A realistic path toward meaningful and relevant online learning;
- Detailed risk, cost, and time guidelines for each activity;
- A thoroughly researched basis for each idea and activity;
- Hope (yes, real hope!) for engaging online learners.
Buy the Book
Free as an e-book (PDF)
Source: Research Commons