Translate to multiple languages

Subscribe to my Email updates

https://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=helgeScherlundelearning
Enjoy what you've read, make sure you subscribe to my Email Updates

Saturday, October 21, 2017

Class Act: Dallas senior writes math book to help others | CW33 NewsFix

Photo: Tim Roberts
"Being a math genius is one thing, but passing that genius on to others is much bigger, and that's what makes Yash Chandak our Class Act of the Week" reports Tim Roberts, Newsfix reporter / MMJ.
 
Watch the Video

Yash is a senior at the Science and Engineering Magnet School in Dallas, and a top competitor in Number Sense, an advanced, fast-paced mathematics competition.

“It’s entirely mental mathematics, that means you cannot write on any scratch paper,” explained Chandak. “You can’t do any marginal calculations or anything, you just get a question and you write an answer.”

But he found that there were very few resources when it came to planning for the contest, so he literally wrote the book on it!

“Over the summer between 11th and 12 grade, I sat down and I looked at lot of tests that I’ve taken, a lot of tests that I’ve yet to take, and I went question by question. And I went to see what trick is used in each one and whether I know how to do it,” Yash said. “And I made a list of all the tricks I feel like are essential for a competitor in any grade to know, to be successful in this competition.”

And for all those hours of hard work and writing, he’s asking nothing in return, giving the book away for free online.
Read more...

Source: CW33 NewsFix