Translate to multiple languages

Subscribe to my Email updates

https://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=helgeScherlundelearning
Enjoy what you've read, make sure you subscribe to my Email Updates

Saturday, October 14, 2017

From PhD to . . . Beyond the Professoriate | University Affairs

Photo: Jennifer Polk
Jennifer Polk, career coach and entrepreneur notes, "The name of this blog is changing."

University Affairs

The new school year is a time of change, and I can attest that feels true even for those of us who aren’t enrolled in school, don’t work in education, or have school-aged dependents. I started blogging for University Affairs under the From PhD to Life banner in September 2013. At that point, I was a year and a half done my PhD and had recently started a business coaching academics.

Now, four years later, I earn most of my income from my 1-on-1 work with graduate students and PhDs. But that will change. I’m focussing more and more on a different, related business, Beyond the Professoriate. This is a startup I run with my partner, Maren Wood, a fellow history PhD. (We met when we did our Master’s degrees at Carleton University.)

Readers of this blog know that Beyond the Professoriate began as an annual online conference for PhDs in career transition. Maren and I collaborated to produce this 10-session event, which occurred in May 2014. This past May was the fourth annual conference. We were thrilled that hundreds of people chose to attend, either live or by watching the recordings afterward.

The conference is wonderful every year, but it only happens once. We wanted to offer graduate students and PhDs a structured way to learn, engage, and take action to further their careers throughout the year. We launched the Beyond the Professoriate membership site this summer to do just that.

This new online community includes resources and support for graduate students and PhDs navigating the job search process. Online panels introduce members to new careers and opportunities, workshops teach them how to launch a successful job search, and we host weekly strategy sessions where members are coached, give and receive feedback, and share insights. Members can engage with each other and with our network of PhD career mentors in our groups and forums as well. We’re hearing great things from early members and are thrilled with how things are going so far.
Read more... 

Related link 
From PhD to Life

Source: University Affairs