Translate to multiple languages

Subscribe to my Email updates

https://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=helgeScherlundelearning
Enjoy what you've read, make sure you subscribe to my Email Updates

Sunday, October 01, 2017

UAH student’s cybersecurity internship combines philosophy and computer science | UAH News

"If you think a unique double major like computer science and philosophy would make it challenging for a student to get real-world experience in the field before graduation, Mark Reuter is here to prove otherwise" continues UAH News

Senior computer science and philosophy double major Mark Reuter spent this past summer as a cybersecurity intern with ODU’s Research Experience for Undergraduates program.
Photo: The University of Alabama in Huntsville

The University of Alabama in Huntsville (UAH) senior spent this past summer as a paid intern focused on cybersecurity research in a multidisciplinary environment after being selected to participate in the Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program at Old Dominion University (ODU). 

He first learned of the opportunity from UAH philosophy professor Dr. Deborah Heikes, who sent an email to the department’s students about the Virginia university’s interdisciplinary program. In return for free on-campus housing and a stipend of $6,200, those selected would spend 10 weeks conducting full-time research with a mentor in a related field. "I thought, ok, I can do this," says Reuter, who sought assistance on his application from both Dr. Andrew Cling and Dr. Nicholaos Jones. "I submitted it in February, and a week later, they let me know I got the job." 

Three months after that, he was ensconced on the ODU campus and tasked with reviewing the existing literature on the ethics of cybersecurity under the supervision of Dr. D. E. Wittkower, an associate professor of philosophy and religious studies at ODU. "I knew right away when someone walked in with a Hawaiian shirt and crocs that he was my mentor," says Reuter with a laugh. "He had published and presented a lot, but he is a really relaxed person, which is more the environment of philosophy."

The workload, however, was anything but relaxed. "I came in as a research assistant to look at the history related to computer ethics, so my focus was on how ethical issues that deal with cybersecurity in academic, government, and corporate settings are argued," says Reuter. "But actual research is different from just going online and looking at something! It’s more thorough. I had to go through 40 or 50 articles on the topic, and then reduce that down to 9 or 10, which was more reading than I think I’ve ever done for a class."
Read more... 

Source: UAH News