Translate to multiple languages

Subscribe to my Email updates

https://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=helgeScherlundelearning
Enjoy what you've read, make sure you subscribe to my Email Updates

Saturday, April 11, 2020

Embracing Break-and-Bake Cookies | Career - Inside Higher Ed

Christopher R. Marsicano, visiting assistant professor of educational studies at Davidson College, shares lessons learned from the first weeks of Zoom teaching.

Photo: Istockphoto.com/tittos

When I took my job at Davidson College, I signed up for close relationships with students in small classes. Same for my students who chose to go to Davidson because of the sense of place and small class setting that liberal arts colleges provide. There are many great educational opportunities for a college education, but my students and I all just happened to choose one where face-to-face, in-person instruction is the primary form of teaching and learning. Until COVID-19 sent us all home 
into the world of hastily prepared online instruction.

I don’t know about you, but most faculty members I’ve informally polled never took a grad school class on how to teach in college, let alone one called “How to teach online in a global pandemic.” For me, this past week of online instruction has been a challenge. I never realized just how much of my teaching abilities relied on my ability to read the room. Now I have to learn to read the Zoom.

Like my students, I’ve had to learn a few things. Consider this a very unauthoritative list of lessons learned from someone lacking any semblance of authority of how to transition to Zoom.
Read more... 

Source: Inside Higher Ed