Translate to multiple languages

Subscribe to my Email updates

https://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=helgeScherlundelearning
Enjoy what you've read, make sure you subscribe to my Email Updates

Sunday, August 25, 2019

It’s time to revisit Fahrenheit 451 | Opinion - Washington Examiner

One of the most commonly assigned books in American high school literature, Fahrenheit 451, hasn’t always been treated fairly by Madeline Fry, commentary writer for the Washington Examiner

First edition cover (clothbound)
Photo: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Critic Damon Knight once wrote of author Ray Bradbury that “his imagination is mediocre; he borrows nearly all his backgrounds and props, and distorts them badly.”
But the book, while easy to read, is rich with metaphor and meaning. I first read Fahrenheit 451 in high school, and I still have my annotated copy nestled amid other books in my collection. 

I would not have understood it well on my own, but thanks to my English teacher at the time, it became one of my favorite novels. Approaching age 17, I remember one line especially resonating with me...

As historian Russell Kirk put it, Bradbury wrote “mythopoeic literature, normative truth acquired through wonder.” Fahrenheit 451 doesn’t simply ring true in a way that has stood the test of time, though. It also has pores. While he’s explaining the nature of literature to Montag, Faber asks, “Do you know why books such as this are so important? Because they have quality. And what does the word quality mean? To me it means texture. This book has pores.”
Read more...    

Related link  
Fahrenheit 451 by Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. 
PublishedOctober 19, 1953 (Ballantine Books)[3 

Source: Washington Examiner