Translate to multiple languages

Subscribe to my Email updates

https://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=helgeScherlundelearning
Enjoy what you've read, make sure you subscribe to my Email Updates

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Free Guide: Developing Mathematical Literacy

Are you a math teacher?  
Take a look at this free short guide for you.

Download the free Guide

Photo: Cindy Bryant
In the introduction to this eBook, Cindy Bryant, LearnBop, writes "You’ve probably heard more than one person say “I’m not good at math” or “I can’t do math” or worse yet – “I hate math.” But I doubt that you’ve ever heard anyone say “I can’t read” or “I’m not good at reading.” Even today, with math being an essential tool for many other domains such as banking, engineering, manufacturing, medicine, social science, technology, and computer science, I still encounter those that voice their dislike of and/or their inability to do mathematics proudly, as if math is something we don’t need when in fact it’s just as essential to everyday life as the ability to read."

This “can’t do math” mindset stems from different sources. Sometimes it’s fueled by parents or other care givers who have a fixed mindset about their own math abilities, and who foster the mindset of low math expectations for their child. But more often than we’d like to admit, it’s the result of the specific content that is being taught and/or the instructional methods and activities that are inadequate in helping students understand math concepts, leaving them confused and unsure of how to make connections to math in real-life situations. 
Download the free Guide

Source: LearnBop